The issue of mobile money and mobile banking has been an ongoing discussion in Nigeria for some time now. African banks have a great challenge in overcoming their heritage of colonial banking, which was designed to cater primarily for government, corporate and high-worth individuals.
The bottom part of the pyramid has been badly neglected. Now that mobile operators are setting the pace in terms of providing low-cost banking services, banks are scrambling to catch up. They can do this not only through technological innovation, but also through a customer-oriented corporate culture and service innovation.
On the 13th and 14th of March, 2013, *AITEC will be hosting the 6th annual Banking and Mobile Money West Africa Conference in Lagos.
Other topics to be discussed at the event include:
- The Challenge and Opportunities of Mobile
- The New Era of Regional Banking
- Regulation vs Innovation
- Microfinance: Deeping financial services
- Islamic Banking: An alternative model for equitable banking
- Conference Framework
Who is the conference aimed at?
The event will have several key audiences including:
- ICT managers and professionals in the banking and financial services sector
- High-level managers at CEO, COO and CFO levels in banks, MFIs and telecom operators
- Innovators and service providers active in the financial services sector
- Telecom operators and service providers
- NGOs/civil society organisations directly involved with delivering banking or microfinance services in rural areas.
- Media representatives
Evaluation and Outputs
There will be several outputs from the event such as:
- Increased knowledge among top managers and professionals in the COMESA banking sector of latest international trends and technologies and their application in the region.
- Increased awareness among high-level non-technical managers in the sector of the vital role ICT has to play in their business strategies – and the range of technologies and systems available
- Informed media coverage that will help build a profile for the issues under discussion.
- Broker relationships between suppliers and users of systems for the financial services sector.
*AITEC – African Information Technology Exhibitions and Conferences